Wednesday 13 February 2013

Quick as a flash

I can't believe it's February already, January has been and gone in a flash, it always does. As soon as Christmas is over its my little boy's birthday. We had a Lego theme this year and we had some little friends over and had a tea party.



lego pinata


I had an exciting couple of days last week. I went on a spinning course with a lovely lady from near Cambridge. I was the only student and we spun in her little cottage in the country. We had homemade soup and bread warmed in the Rayburn for lunch and visited her flock of rare breed sheep. It was a wonderful two days especially because we got to see the sheep in the snow,it was picture perfect and silly me forgot to take my camera.

Spinning itself looks a lot easier than it really is, she likened it to rubbing your tummy and patting your head at the same time. I think I got the idea by the end of the second day and I managed to make three small balls of wool. I used fleece from many different sheep- Kerry hill, Manx, Leicester long wool, Wensleydale as well as angora goat and alpaca. The Alpaca was my favourite as it comes in a longer length (staple) and has a beautiful lustre.
I came home with three small balls of wool and promptly knitted a head band to tame my curly locks and keep my ears warm and, a woolly sheep toy.


I have been bitten by the bug and have asked for a spinning wheel for my birthday... I wondered if the birthday fairy will bring one? I have given him loads of warning as its not until the end of March.
sheep pattern on my ravelry  page from Julia @ handknittedthings. Anyone got any idea how to get a ravelry button on my blog? Everytime I do it nothing seems to happen, then I go back to amend it by editing and its blank????

7 comments:

the linen cloud said...

Oh Sarah that is so great ... I would love to try out spinning ... and your little sheep is really lovely ... happy belated birthday to the birthday boy ... Bee xx

Gillian Roe said...

I love the idea of spinning, it sounds like fun. How cool that you've knitted things with wool you spun yourself! I'm afraid I am constantly baffled by the whole buttons thing on blogs, I just don't understand them. Good luck!

Gillian x

Annie Cholewa said...

How lovely to have been on a spinning course! I'd love to do something similar ... I would love to be able to spin!! Hope you get that wheel :)

mrsrobinson said...

Oh your sweet Lego bricks are far better than mine! A lovely headband knit... have just knitted a calorimetry headband for a little friend, and I really want one too!

Ashley cramp said...

I've tried too and failed?
I would love to know if you find out...I'll keep trying

hope you get the spinning wheel..

bestest Daisy J

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah , oh your spinning days sound so wonderful,I do hope the birthday fairy can bring you your very own:) love your little ones lego party, my son was a big lego fan when he was younger. Xxx

la said...

Hello, oooh lovely to hear from you again, and I just joined up with you over on Ravelry....think I might try that plain vest pattern from the lovely Pickles girls that you made, it looks lovely :o) And I love the sheep too...ha ha so brilliant xxx