Tuesday, 19 April 2011

Worn and Washed

Lots of pictures today, I can't wait to show you how I got on at the Worn and Washed sewing day. It was great fun I really enjoyed myself, I think everyone that went got something out of the day and everyone went home with a quilt top. Some got to the basting stage but it was just great to have a day doing something different and to just sew...

Kim had some beautiful quilts on display. I have always wanted a patchwork quilt and never knew I could make one myself. I don't like fussy quilts although I admire their craftsmanship. I like simple things, just plain squares which is why Kim's quilts really appeal to me, that and their eco credentials. 

Really I don't know anything about quilt making I only just started sewing when my Son was born two years ago as I had more time at home. I had only done curtains before that, so I am self taught. I have a few books and of course the internet is a wealth of knowledge and ideas. So anyway I digress...

This was the quilt display exhibition. I took Little OB's cot blanket to show Kim.
She really liked it and asked if she could display it which I was really chuffed about as it was only my second quilt. Its not fussy or particularly clever I think its the fabric that does the talking, soft and worn, muted colours from years of washing and well chosen patterns that Kim put together in the little pack I bought. I choose it because one of the fabrics is a red flannel with small white stars on it. Little OB loves the stars.

Some more beautiful muted coloured quilts, hand quilted.

Just look at the detail on the binding, perfect little stitches.

 I quite like the brighter colours too, this one is from the 'old swedish' fabric pack.
This is her new fabric collection 'Out of the Toy Box' inspired by old and new toys. I bought a small pack of this to try.

  I like this one with a detailed centre and a wide band of floral framing it. I might try this out.

Well here is our sewing space, we all bought our own machines, and tools. We all picked a bundles of her fabric and set about making the quilt top. I wanted to do something a bit different to everyone else as usual a little rebel sitting in the back row. So I sorted all of my bundles in the same sized strips and cut them into 5'' squares we were supposed to sew them as they were- all different length strips. Anyway I sewed the squares together and with the offcuts sewed the irregular strips together and at the end sliced them in half lengthways to make a staggered border. I was told off for breaking the rules but forgiven as I had done a couple before. I was really pleased at the end because squares really appeal to me. I didn't do too badly matching them up I thought I would use buttons if I had to, to disguise where they are not quite squared up together.

This is not the finished picture but this is on the home straight.
The colours have changed abit in the light I took the photograph, they appeal here in blue tones but actually its more purple and lavender coloured in real life.

Heres my big tahdah- still lots to do I have to get some wadding, bast it, back it and the dreaded binding....

What do you think?
I think I my fabric choice was inspired by our walk in the bluebell wood at the caravan site where we stayed overnight. I wouldn't normally choose liliacs and purples when I saw the fabric pack I thought I would try something different.
And I am pleased with the result so far.
Happy Easter again,


Helen Philipps said...

What a beautiful post. Someone I work with told me about the Worn and Washed range recently - how lovely they look! I loved seeing the little quilts - just beautiful!
Helen x

Jane said...

This all looks very lovely, and your quilt is beautiful...well done :)

ps glad you got your fabrics ok..and at the risk of sounding like a 1950's housewife I use Ariel and a bit of comfort :) x x x x x x x

Emily said...

Have just discovered your lovely blog. The quilt looks beautiful - the colours are really 'springy'. Spookily enough, I'm also making a springtime throw - the square count is up to about 200 now, so hopefully I should be finished some time before Christmas! ha ha
Emily x